Friday, August 29, 2008

Who needs those old fashioned books anyway?

The article "Computer Time doesn't have to replace Reading Time" by Paula Ebben (http://wbztv.com/watercooler/lighterside/reading.books.online.2.802536.html) addresses a common complaint that you hear amongst educators and parents today. I know that my parents would complain about how much time I spent on the computer, although I spent much more than 7 minutes per day reading--the average time that a child spends reading for pleasure nowadays. Some new websites have been exploiting this by creating online book clubs where kids can read literature and discuss it just like any other book club.

Now I've read complete works online (short stories mostly), but I personally don't think I would have the patience to read whole chunks of books on a computer. When I read for pleasure I always do so leisurely, either laying down or sitting in a recliner, not in my uncomfortable computer chair.

By the tone of the article, the author seems to be making online books out to be the next natural step in the evolution of literature. I disagree with that assumption because I think that nothing will ever replace having a hard-copy of a book. Technology can only go so many places. I can bring a book with me anywhere I go, but I can't lug a computer with me everywhere. Laptops don't cut it either, because one would need internet access to keep reading the book and free public nation-wide wi-fi is still only a pipe-dream.

Not everyone is like me, however, so I can see the benefits for kids who normally wouldn't give a care about books. If online books and online book clubs catch on, I think they'd be the perfect for a generation of kids who spend much more time online than ever before.

1 comment:

Liz Conlon said...

After reading Paula Ebben's report, "Computer Time Doesn't Have to Replace Reading Time", it seemed that she had a positive response to the idea of online book clubs and kids reading online.
I agree with Ian's statement because I also do not enjoy reading online, even if it is just for class. Reading print text or a book is much easier and enjoyable in my opinion than getting a headache from staring at a computer screen for too long.
However, I do feel that each person's mind works differently and what I may find easier can not always be the case for someone else.
When books on tape/cd were introduced, books were not left to the dust, it just became another form of reading. If the average student can increase the amount of time from seven minutes a day, than no matter what form it takes it should be a forward step to advancing students involvement in English.