Friday, February 1, 2008

Good grades= $$

Many parents have different ways of showing affection. Sometimes, for best school effort. The parents give money to their kids. Now, in the article "Good grades pay off literary," school are coping the idea of giving students money for good grades. These statisics of "30% rise in the number of students with high SAT and ACT scores and an 8% rise in college-going students," can be argued with (Toppo 1). These students are given eight bulks an hour for either entering an advance course, or passing a hard test. Even other schools like "at Northeast Health Science Magnet High School in Macon, Ga., principal Sam Scavella says he's trying lots of different incentives for doing the right thing. If students attend Saturday study sessions, they qualify for an iPod, movie tickets or a dinner for two, among other prizes" (Toppo 1). Who can disagree with this?! College students would love this, but I am not one of them.

I personally hate when people get paid for hard work. I have been given other things than money, when I passed a test or hard course. I got a smile, and a pat on the back. Free. I love things that came free. I was a hard worker, and my parents loved to help me when the could. I was mostly on my own, or asked for the teachers help. When I read this article, I felt that students are turning more into money hungery. Why are they giving ipods Macon?! IPods are another distraction from class. That also can make the student play with music, than study for more money or another free movie tickets. No, I think students need teachers with a smile or more complients than $$.
I agree with Bob Schaeffer of the National Center for Fair & Open Testing, when he said "Bribing kids for higher test scores — or paying teachers bounties for their students' work — is similar to giving them steroid. Short-term performance might improve but the long-term effects can be very damaging" (Toppo). This reminds me of the dogs. When they are given treats for going to the bathroom, then they learn. "Ah, I go outside for a time. Then I get more meaty treats!" They will just pretend to outside, and bark to come back in. Then, a few minutes later. They get their treat, but you find a mess for the wasted treat. Students are the same way.

My sister is another example. She has a hard time for history, but she wanted to try the money for good grades. This is not the time to spread money around! The gas prices are on the rise, and food is joining behind the gas prices. Why would schools waste money on paying students to do well, than heating or feeding the population? This idea is a stupid one. I don't think money will solve everything. Sure, the statisics prove an increase, but a small one. A greater help is complients, and having the pin saying "Honor roll" than a dollar bill that can last for a soda or a dollar burger. Students do need feed back, and they also need to appreciate the value of getting good grades. Money is useful for food, gas, and paying bills. Not for students who pass their tests or courses.

3 comments:

Caitlin said...

I have to agree with Meghan on this topic of money as a reward. There is nothing wrong with simple rewards. I do believe that hard work should be rewarded. Money as a reward in the classroom may seem like an attractive idea but I do not believe that it would be effective long-term.

Rewards by money or expensive material things by schools instills the idea of instant gratification. "Answer this question right and get an ipod!" seems a little absurd. Are students really going to remember what they learned? Probably not, because they will just remember that they got cash.

It is obvious we already live in a world surrounded by instantaneous resources, but shouldn't school be a place to get away from that? I remember when one of my teachers in middle school brought in candy as a reward. I sometimes found it frustrating because she would quiz us and it soon became a contest of who could answer the fastest.

I believe this idea encourages classroom competition. Personally, I believe competition in the class leaves some quiet students or students that need time to reflect in the dust. When some of these students get jobs their bosses are not going to give them a reward every time they do something good. Some employers would be lucky just to get acknowledged. This kind of reward system is teaching students that everything they do well will be greatly rewarded. And unfortunately, that is not real life.

The article argues that monetary rewards are leading to higher SAT scores in some cases. What about school districts that cannot afford ipods to give out? This will only further the socioeconomic gap between students. Also going back to what Meghan said, shouldn't money toward our school system go toward supplies and repairs? It is disappointing to me that some schools have resorted to this kind of system.

Crimson Wife said...

I have no problem with money as a reward for good grades *IF* it's a scholarship for college or some sort of training. My family "bribed" me in this manner by agreeing to fund a higher dollar amount if I won admission to a top college. This was added incentive for me to work hard in high school.

Heather Marie Siddle said...

I do not think students should be paid to "earn" good grades. If a district is willing to pay its students to work harder, there is obviously a problem within the system that needs to be addressed, but I do not believe this is the right course of action. I think this mentality derives from the expectations placed on schools by NCLB, and schools may believe this will be a quick method to turn grades around. I agree with Meghan; I think praise, Honor Rolls, Honor Societies, and scholarships are the best rewards for students. Not only are they mentally rewarding, but they are achievements that can be listed on college and job applications in the future.