Friday, February 29, 2008

read dis blog b4 u read anybody elses lol

I read “Dis maks my Teacha cry,” by John Przybys. The article explores the link between the classroom and students who are text messaging. Text messages have developed their own language in and of itself when it comes to punctuation, word use, spelling, and other conventions. The article discusses these issues with teachers of English and sees if they are ever concerned with the path for which English writing is heading.

Most teachers surprisingly show little concern over the text messaging occurring in the classroom setting. Most teachers found no issues explaining to kids that there was a time and place for text speak. Most students had no trouble figuring out when that time and place was.

The fear amongst the general population is that this text speak will produce a generation of illiterate Americans not well suited for the ever-changing job market. William Kist says, "I think the general public is more upset about it than English teachers are. It's certainly the position of the National Council of Teachers of English that these alternate spellings and punctuations actually open up an incredible opportunity for a dialogue (with students) about the English language." Kist’s view is one of a few English teachers in Academia who seem to believe that there could play a positive role in the teaching of English.

I personally do not think that students should be confused about where text speak is appropriate and it is not. We live in an increasingly independent society. We have deemphasized the role of the teacher for years now, and all of the sudden now we seem to need them more than ever. The role of the teacher is to show students how to read and write in a language suitable to professional discourse. The few students who are unable or unwilling to learn standard English will be the one’s who suffer. Text speak is not an issue as long as we continue to emphasize to our students that there is a time and place.

The emphasis is all we can really hope for the benefit of our students. Students are not as stupid as it is believed. The fact that most teachers are not overly concerned shows us that. Our student’s will turn out fine and towards the end of the article one teacher even points out that kids have had slang for years, it just was never really written until now. It is my belief that as long as students are writing in some form, they are learning. As they mature so too will their writing.

4 comments:

Dan Carroll said...

I agree with what Pat says about emphasizing a time and place for text messaging because I do somewhat worry about the ever-growing use of this new type of dialogue. As much as I love reading different types of dialects, this is a type of lingo I just can't appreciate except in a fast-paced situation where it is absolutely necessary. Even in my own life I try to limit my own use of abbreviations because I think the more I use words improperly I will be setting myself to only think in terms of abbreviations. People like my brother use text-speak and AIM lingo to hide behind their poor English skills and it honestly frustrates me every time I have to talk to my brother online because it is rarely, if ever, an actual sentence and most words are abbreviated or incorrectly misspelled due to his uncomfortability with the English language. He gave up on being a good English student once his teachers did the same thing and I find it sad that he will be destined to be hiding behind what is a now acceptable form of communication. Although I agree with Pat in some ways, there is also my brother and others like him that really shouldn't be using the text-speak some of us use constantly.

Anonymous said...

I think there is definitely a time and place for texting and the kind of speech used in the text messages. The words for text messaging are usually shorter, and/or misspelled. These kinds of words should not be used in a classroom setting, because they are two completely different ways of speaking and expressing your voice and thoughts.

Heather Marie Siddle said...

I agree that there is a time and a place for "text talk" if it is going to be used at all. I personally hate it, and I type everything out completely when I use AIM or my cell phone.

I was a Teaching Assistant for an English class last semester, and it is unbelievable how many college students will use "u" for "you" in a paper. I can't even imagine how many grade school students are making this mistake. I think this problem boils down to Dan's point. He said, "I think the more I use words improperly I will be setting myself to only think in terms of abbreviations." I think that when students use abbreviations as constantly as they do, this type of writing becomes meshed with academic writing through the force of habit.

Hillary Whelden said...

I agree with Pat, as well as everyone else that there is definitely a time and place for text messaging. However, I also think that most intelligent students are aware of when it is appropriate and when it isn't. Most people who use text messaging know that "text speak" is merely for the use of IMs/texting/emails. I know some people who will jokingly throw an "OMG" or "WTF" in a conversation, but I've yet to meet someone who takes this language seriously and would use it in every day life. I don't think we have to worry about text speak invading standardized English and we are wasting time worrying about it (lol)