Sunday, March 2, 2008

For Tots, Spanish as a Second Language

In the article from the Boston Globe, it speaks about how it could benefit children by knowing English and Spanish. One particular family is teaching their children Spanish and the father only speaks Spanish to them, while his wife does not speak any Spanish. They are determined that their children be bilingual. Honestly, I wish I knew two languages fluently. I have taken many language courses in school, but I do not know either of them fluently.
I think this is a very good idea for a number or reasons. For one, Spanish is spoken in a lot of different areas and it would be very useful to them. Another reason I think it is a very good idea is that it brings people together and closer through culture and language. I agree with the article when it says ""For me, the reward comes in seeing the children connect with the language. So many words in English come from Spanish."
I think knowing more than one language is very rewarding and beneficial for anyone really. Learning as young as possible seems like the best road though.

2 comments:

Heather Marie Siddle said...

Learning a second language is extremely beneficial in our world today. I wish schools would begin foreign language classes in elementary school. I took French in middle and high school, and I took Spanish in college, and I barely remember how to order dinner in either language. As soon as students begin to build a base of knowledge in foreign language classes, they are able to drop the class because they have passed the Regents.

orangeykeen said...

a small side note.

I agree that foreign languages should be integrated into middle school cirriculum as well. If on the other hand that is impossible, I would rather see students working on learning to speak the languages. So much emphasis is put on writing the language and reading the languages which impedes on the time that could be spent speaking the words. Does it not make sense that we should first learn how to speak spanish before we deal with writing it? I learned how to speak english before I learned to write it. It's more important that we can express ourselves verbally.