Thursday, March 27, 2008

Smaller Class Sizes

In the article “Size Alone Makes Small Classes Better for Kids, by Greg Toppo, we learn that breaking up larger classes into smaller classes can have a positive effect on students. Students find it more beneficial when they get more face time with their teachers. Adam Gamoran of the University of Wisconsin says: "Small classes are more engaging places for students because they're able to have a more personal connection with teachers, simply by virtue of the fact that there are fewer kids in the classroom competing for that teacher's attention.” I agree with his statement because I feel as though some classroom sizes are becoming far too big today in more rural areas, however, there may not be much that we can do about this problem. Things such as budget, school size, and teaching staff may hold some schools back from being able to decrease the size of their classrooms.
Studies were done to see if smaller classroom sizes truly had an effect on the students. These studies were done in an Elementary School and a High School and found that students in smaller classroom sizes not only stayed more focused, but they misbehaved a lot less. The students also had more direct interactions and worked in small groups, rather than alone. For more than two decades classroom size (decreasing) has been an improvement strategy in many states.
Personally, I think breaking up larger classes into smaller classes is a brilliant idea. Although, this may not be possible everywhere, but the idea is a great start. From experience, it is nice to be known by name and not by a number in a classroom. I think this has been a controversy for a while now, but I’m happy to see that schools are actually taking it into account. I attended a Catholic School from grades Kindergarten through fifth and the classroom sizes were quite small (10-15 students). I always felt comfortable and new all my classmates by name. However, when I moved onto Public School the classroom sizes greatly increased (30). I did not know all my classmates by name, and I know that we did not have nearly enough time to become “comfortable or “close” with our teachers. I think smaller classrooms really allow students to become closer to their teachers, and even their classmates (which is also important). I am aware that this cannot be done everywhere, but I am excited that it is being approached in more school districts.

3 comments:

Dominique Marable said...

I agree smaller class sizes do benefit students. I attended private school basically my enitire life from Pre-Kindergarden to 12th grade except for 6th grade. In private school we always had small class sizes were I did feel comfortable with my fellow peers to express my opinions and accept feedback and criticism from them more openly. This is oppose to when I attended public school for a year and was overwhelmed by how many students there were in my classroom not to mention my entire grade. I left because I was unable to follow what was going on during class time and expressing what I believe to be true and participating in class discussions because I was intimated by the class size. I hope by the time I become a teacher the government and each town in the United States realizes the benefits to small classroom sizes and if they give the schools more money to make this possible students can benefit greatly in the long run.

mcook001 said...

I agree with Laice's comment. I have been in both classes. I have been in a large class of twenty-seven students in a Biology class. It was very hard to get the professor's attention. When I did, he mostly wanted a break or he gave me the "it's in the book, read it." I felt no compassion for that teacher, but here in Plattsburgh I was in a class of thirteen. I never been in such a small class. It was a great experience to find out the classmates, and just get more comfertable with the professor.

I also disagree with Laice by the hard way to seperate students. I have been in a seperate class than the main group (a slower class). The experience was harsh. My section was name called "slower," so we didn't have all the appriacation from our other classmates. My class was slow, but at times we did pass the other class by understanding the subject. Than the other class speeding through the course to get things accompished.

Both sides of the agrument do hold some schools from smaller classes. The smaller the class, the more work the professor needs to do. The larger the class, the more goof-balls in the back throwing spit wads. I feel that Laice does make a solid comment about the smaller class size helps the comfert level. The only thing that will be lost is the interaction of a large class. The small group may know each other too well, and they work too well together. The large class can teach students to branch out with others, and they can learn from each other's mistakes.

Jacynth Johnson said...

This is a very interesting article about decreasing classroom size inorder for students to benefit academically. I do strongly agree with this article , becasue it takes me back to my education class, where students social importance within and outside the classroom matters. The chapter was focusing on the Emotional IQ of students who were stable at home as well as in school. It has been proven that peer to peer relationship do affect student's progress within the classroom seeting , more specifically within the school environment.

I mentioned this topic because, smaller class sizes, i attest will encourage a better community within the classroom, setting a safe and free environment as well as bring students closer together. This peer to peer relationship, will also influence the increase in student's academic progress accompanied by the decrease in class size.