Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Sharing Your Notes Online--And Getting Paid For It" (Article by Andy Guess)

I found this article to be extremely interesting, so much so that I had to read every single comment that was posted on it! Andy Guess discusses a new web site, Knetwit, that is paying student note takers to post their notes and other helpful information that allows their users to view a variety of information on their intellectual topic of choice. I find this to be a mix between Wikipedia, sparknotes and its competitors, as well as those horrible free essay sites. There are obvious benefits and problems with a site like this, all of which Guess offers to readers to think through. As a student, I think it's awesome that I could earn extra income simply by uploading several well thoughtout and organized drafts of different notes. I do not, however, feel that essays should be turned in because that will simply lead to plagarizing.
I see the value in viewing notes that offer the same subject matter in a variety of ways. I think that this could be useful for the start of a research project, or extra help before a test. At the same time, I see how these notes could easily cause legal matters with professors and the universities these professors work for, who use their lectures as a basis for material they may publish at some point. If students used this site simply as more of an academic discussion board of intellectual thought and multiple specific subject matter than I could see endless opportunity and enjoyment. For example, if our whole class could post our notes on the ELA Standards, that would be extremely helpful in our comprehension and daily use of said standards, beyond any testing on the subject.
This said, overall I feel that classes should NOT be note-based. Rather, and several commenters on the article felt the same, students should be learning through a give-take, take-give method that rarely includes note-taking. If a student is simply taking notes, he or she is learning through one vision that does not require thought, but only memorization. By giving notes, a person is saying, this is it and this is how it always is. I disagree with "always". Wouldn't it be best that students are always questioning information they are given? If something is REALLY important, then type it up and hand it out to students, or cite the source that made the informationso valuable and hand that out. Professors should provide a place for thought to begin, but do not need to plan out how thought will start and end for every class. As a student, I want to be able to mold and shape ideas as my peers and I encounter them. As a teacher, I would like my students to discuss so I know they understand, simply writing what I say down only means they will be able to spit it back up for test. I want them to take it, make it their own, and then spit it back up when they need to. (Sadly, this may be mostly a dream due to NCLB).

2 comments:

jessicasand said...

In the matter of posting notes I would have to agree with Leah in that it sounds better than it really is. It would be great to have that other in site oh classroom topics but I feel that more students would be likely to skip class because they can just look it up online after.
I also feel that everyone could view these notes and base their papers on it. Many of the students would be writing in the same "voice" causing the individuality of the class to vanish. I also agree with Leah that schools and professors would be angry with this type of site because they are not paying attention to what happens in class. It also could and most likely would be considered plagiarism because your referring to someone else s notes and not your own.
If a student does not understand a topic discussed in class or have questions they should go to the Professor and not relay on a student that for all they know could be leaving bad notes. As a future teacher myself I would be disappointing with my students if they referred to this site for notes. I would want them to learn what we accomplished in class their own way whether that is by note taking or some other way, much like they was Leah feels as well.

Alyssa said...

I agree with both Jessica and Leah; getting notes online is not really that great of an idea. It will probably be seen similarly to Wikipedia--unrecognized by the college as a valid, academic source. I once participated in a "Wikki," and it was closely monitored by the professor for accuracy and reliability. I get the feeling that a site like Knetwit would not be monitored for these things.

I do believe note taking is a big part of classes. It is kind of a necessary evil--it would be impossible to remember everything a professor lectured about for the length of a semester. What would you study at the end if you didn't take notes? There are better ways to enforce these notes than just lecturing, however. Activities, class discussions, and other various assignments can be a way for teachers to get creative and help their students remember what they have been taught.