Thursday, September 4, 2008

Technology In School: Where Do We Draw The Line?

The article, An iPod Touch for each student? (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/story/1191389.html), by Matt Dees, raises some interesting and potentially controversial questions. The article deals with Culbreth Middle School and their Principal Susan Wells' decision to use iPod Touch units in the classroom as an educational tool. Principal Wells believes that in a world that relies so heavily upon technology it is foolish to try and keep it out of the classroom. If the project recieves proper funding, students and teachers alike will recieve iPod Touch units, and curriculum and courses will be developed based around the units. For example, students would be able to recieve art credit for learning guitar by taking online lessons at home.
Now, I'm completely behind introducing technology into the classroom and I feel that Wells is absolutely right when she says that its foolish to attempt to keep technology out of the classroom. However, to what degree will we allow technology to affect education? In my opinion, one of the most important things about education is the interaction and communication between human beings. The introduction of technology such as the iPod touch could potentially hurt the important tie between student and teacher and hamper a students development of healthy communication. So much of communication is based in facial expression and body language and technology eliminates that. And while we're on the subject, let's look to the future. Will technology eventually replace the classroom setting altogether? Is that something we want to replace?

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

I agree with Andrew that a great deal of communication is visual. If I was a teacher, I would not want to introduce technology that would decrease my time with students. Sure, the internet is great for research and doing things on your own, but when technology is replacing a teacher or human contact, I do not feel it is a good idea.

Technology is already starting to replace the classroom setting. In high school, I was able to take college courses through distance learning; my college professor was teaching her class at HVCC, my school, and another school all at the same time. One teacher can teach multiple places at one time. Internet classes are also starting to replace the classroom setting. Many students prefer online classes for the ease and flexibility. I like taking online classes, but I prefer the classroom setting. Not only do I get to interact with teachers, but I enjoy the interaction I get with other students.