Thursday, October 16, 2008

Funky Beats = Learned Children?

"Award winning" poet Nikki Giovanni has introduced a new idea to children's education. She has combined "funky" hip-hop beats with poetry in her new book, "Hip-Hop Speaks To Children". While teaching children about rhythm, this will supposedly boost children's interest in learning. The content ranges from material written by Queen Latifah to the celebrated Langston Hughes.
Initially my first reaction to Nikki Giovanni's new book was filled with doubt. I do not, and I never will, consider Hip-Hop poetry. However, I do not believe I am a majority in this matter and it remains that kids are being exposed to Hip-Hop at early ages. It undeniably influences them. So setting aside my own personal distaste for Hip-Hop, I must concede that if children must be exposed to it at least they are going to learn from it.   

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I think that the idea is a good one. Students tend to bore easily in a classroom environment as they get older. To enrich our students educations new ideas such as Giovanni's will engage students in the classroom in a different sort of way. This idea of "funky beats" might just be something that keeps our students from becoming bored in the classroom.