Monday, April 28, 2008

Dan's Literacy Dig

Attached to my stereo...
Object #1: My Ipod
Overall Significance: This is probably the most recent, but valued addition to my dorm room. At the moment, my Ipod contains 351 artists, 3205 songs and a whole lot of reading! Music is one of my biggest hobbies and I would go crazy if I lost all the music I've acquired/ bought/ borrowed over the years. I believe my Ipod shows that I read a lot and my literacy is constantly being tested. Reading lyrics off the internet, understanding song titles and properly pronouncing band names are all part of my day.

Taped to my door...
Object #2: Cardinal Points cut-out
Overall Significance: To my knowledge, this is from the only time that my name has appeared in Cardinal Points. The article is titled "The weekend smoker: Social smoking popular with drinking" and I was interviewed for it. Since the article I have almost completely eliminated alcohol from my consumption and the article is a humorous flashback to what I once did so regularly. The article quotes me about how I threw up blood after smoking a whole pack of cigarettes on St. Patrick's Day. This helpful reminder keeps me away from the bad habits I once had. I think the article also shows that I do appreciate literacy by reading our school newspaper regularly.

Hanging from my wall...
Object #3: Homer Simpson poster
Overall Significance: This is a poster of Homer Simpson clipping his toenails while working at the nuclear power plant. Besides the fact that I love the television show I like it because it says "Pride Cleanliness is next to Godliness" at the bottom of the poster. I like being clean and organized and this poster is a funny reflection on the ideals I have. This poster is right next to my computer and I probably read the phrase daily, unknowingly. I think this is a good reflection on the place literacy has in my life without me even really taking notice to it.

Lining my closet shelf...
Object #4: My DVD collection
Overall Significance: I rarely watch television so my movie collection is another valued possession and literacy yet again has a place in my room. The movie titles and synopsis' on the back of the cases are all things I occasionly read before watching a movie. This reminds me how valuable my literacy skills are to my daily life.

Resting on top of my closet shelf...
Object #5: Microwaveable noodle meals
Overall Significance: These have been taking space on my shelf since my mom gave them to me. They're supposed to be used whenever I'm too lazy to walk to the dining hall, which practically never happens so they just stay there for the time being. My literacy skills could definitely come to use here if I needed to know how to make one of these meals. If I didn't know how to read I could be setting myself up for disaster if I tried to make one of these noodle dishes!

No comments: