Friday, April 4, 2008

Rejected Leadership Roles

Growing up, we all had heroes. Some of our heroes were real people, like sports stars or celebrities, and some of these heroes were entirely fictional. As we grew older our heroes transitioned from fictional heroes to people we looked up to as leaders. Each set of leaders at one time was the starry-eyed kid looking up to yet another leader.

According to Laura Sessions Stepp, many of our future leaders, are rejecting these roles. The study found that most kids’ aspirations are to make a lot of money or help animals or the environment. While these are important, the study found that most kids had little concern with becoming a leader.

The study which was commissioned by the Girl Scouts of the USA, also found that among kids polled, minorities found themselves to be leaders much more frequently than Caucasian counterparts. Why are kids reluctant to become leaders? The study found that mothers were the most important aspect in determining whether a child would rise to leadership.

As far leadership goes I work at a summer camp where I see the interactions between kids very closely. I have found that I don’t think it is so much an issue of leadership missing, but leadership not being recognized. There is one kid I can think of, that as I’ve observed him, he would not be characterized as a leader in this survey, because he is a bit of a quiet kid. However, I have seen him moderate arguments in a way that is very Socratic, he knows when to ask questions, and he usually is thinking in all of his activities. He influences other kids to do the same.

This study would probably not recognize him, because he is not the type that will lead a fortune 500 company, more so than be a speaker for a small work group. The leadership is out there. As teachers we need to find it, no matter how small a contribution.

3 comments:

Lori Richards said...

I'd have to agree wit Pat here. I think, perhaps, it's not so much that kids are not inclined to become leaders as it is they are redefining what kind of leaders are important. While it is a slow process, people are becoming more aware of the need to be socially responsible, showing true concern for their neighbors. More often than not, if children today are asked whether it is more important to be rich or to help other people be happy, they will choose the latter. In our times, it may seem like everyone in America is obsessed with the almighty dollar but, in all actually, I don't think many people place it at the top of their priority list. You don't have to be in the public eye, or highly recognized, to be a leader of sorts. Pat's right, all leadership roles matter, no matter how small they may seem.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Heather Marie Siddle said...

I, too, agree that leadership is 'found in all shapes and sizes.' I don't think this is always the case, by any means, but I've heard a lot of parents trying to push more 'realistic' options on their children. When I was little, during the 92' election, I told my mom that I wanted to be president, and she said to me, "I don't think you will want to do all that work." I think a lot of times children aspire to the 'realistic' goals because they listen and hear the negative remarks that parents or people say.