Friday, April 25, 2008

What book is on your nightstand?

How many students read for fun? Berkeley College did a survey of three different generations of 1987, 1997, and 2007. Tollefson tells the top picks for ecah year. The top picks for 1987 is "The Color Purple, The Fountainhead, Catcher in the Rye, Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas, Black Boy, Clan of the Cave Bear, If Tomorrow Comes, Less than Zero, and Native Son" (1). The top picks for 1997 is "The Fountainhead, A Hundred Secret Senses, Catcher in the Rye, The Firm, The Kitchen God's Wife, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Joy Luck Club, The Bible, Pride and Prejudice, The Lost World, The Brothers Karamozov, and The Great Gatsby" (1). For 2007 is "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The Kite Runner, The Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 1984, Pride and Prejudice, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Catcher in the Rye, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (2).

The tends I see is the books in the 1987 to 2007 have more different cultures to influence the different audiences. In 1987, most of these books are American. The 2007 books, have came across the world to be read by Americans. I have read Potter, and some of these books for fun. I am trying to read into classics for not class material. Of course, college students are very busy with tons of homework and part-time jobs. Somedays I want to rest, but I turn to my nightstand. My copy of Little Women sit there with a bookmark near the first couple chapters. I take it, and read for a few moments. I love to read magic, but I am a firm believer to not shut out all the books. There is so many books to read, and I think if college students try. They can find a few moments to read something funny, mysterious, scary, or just weird to get out of the boring task of reading textbooks.

2 comments:

Starr R. said...

It is nice to see people reading outside of school work. I know I enjoy sharing books with other and getting into a new series is always fun. It's also nice to see people broadening their horizons, people who just read the same genre over and over again get dulled to other possibilities.

(I'm with you in the magic department, though a good non-fiction book is good every now and again.)

TwirlingTangerine said...

I have always tried to read outside of school, whether it is something new on the bookstand that interests me or re-reading a classic that I have forgot. I have noticed that over the years, it has gotten more difficult to read. I have never given up but it takes me longer to finish my personal books as the work load in college gathers. It's difficult to read something you don't enjoy but the only way someone can realize their like and dislikes in literature is trying eveything.