Monday, May 5, 2008

Ashley Fischetti's Literacy Dig

1)
     My cellphone:

                        Overall significance:  My phone is definitely an extremely significant tool I use each day. Thinking about it, I probably send/receive about 400 text messages a day, and using T9word, tests one's ability to spell and think about what word is being used. Also, receiving a T9word message, reading a mistake isn't the only test; when they spell something wrong, it makes the reader think about what they could have meant, and it constantly a test of reading and spelling. 

2) 
    Facebook:

                    Overall significance: Using facebook daily to check for practice schedules, important events, email/messages, and other comments is definitely a test of literacy every day. I personally check my facebook every time i sit down at my computer i check my facebook, and sometimes linger on it browsing. 

3)
   Post it Notes I leave to myself:

                    Overall significance: Every night, I make a post it note for myself for the next morning's to do list, or a phone number I will need in the near future, or birthdays coming up or tests/quizzes/papers etc. I have stacks upon stacks of post its from months ago in my desk drawer. 

4) 
     Hot Pockets Box:

                    Overall significance: I have been eating hot pockets since i was a junior in high school when i realized their true beauty, and I can still never remember how long to put them in the microwave for! 

5) 
      Medicine Bottles:

                Overall significance: Besides the obvious reasons, I tend to read labels a lot when I am bored, and I am also frequently sick, so before I take anything, no matter how many times I have taken it before, I read the label. 

6)
     Ipod: 

           Overall significance: I never leave my room without my ipod. It consists of 2667 songs, and almost 600 artists or soundtracks. I read through my ipod every day, not realizing that I am actually reading and using that ability at that point in time. 



                     

No comments: