Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kristen's Literacy Dig

Object #1: My Mets calender.
Overall Significance: Of course, every Mets game is written down on it as well as all my appointments and upcoming events. This calender is less for school and more for the other aspects of my life. Everytime I look at it I feel organized and on track even when I may not be. It also shows me that I have other things going on than just papers and exams.

Object #2: Letters to and from my Grandpa.
Overall Significance: Recently, my grandpa was diagnosed with luekemia. With this, he lost most of his hearing. We no longer can use the phone to stay in touch like we used to. Now, I use letters to talk to him and let him know that I am thinking of him. He has always been a big part of my life and loves to stay up to date on what is going on with me.

Object #3: Children's Books
Overall Significance: I know the assignment said to stay away from books but I couldn't resist. When people walk into my room and see children's books sprawled across my desk they have the most quizical look on their face. They are most likely thinking I either have a child or am a slow reader. I am extremely enthusiastic about teaching education and with all the childhood education classes I am in, it's impossible to hide all these books.

Object#4: Poem on my wall
Overall Significance: I have the poem "Desiderata" by Max Ehrmann on my wall. This poem sums up how I try to live my life. The long poem goes around the border of my wall and I see it everyday when I am getting ready. I try to read it and bring his words into my life somehow. Read it, it's a good one.

Oject #5: DVD cases
Overall Significance: I am a movie fanatic. My aspiration is to watch as many movies as I can, good or bad. My dvd's range from Finding Nemo to Garden State to Casablanca. The movies I own each reflect a different part of my personality. All my dvd's could be seen as a way to avoid reading but I think film can be just as educational as literature.

No comments: