Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Christian's Literacy Dig...

Things on my side of the dorm room

Object #1: The “To-do” list

Overall Significance: I can see the “To-do” list that I taped directly over the T.V. screen this morning as I awoke. The list has all my due dates and assignments I need to finish for today’s agenda. I taped it over the TV screen so I don’t succumb to temptation and waste valuable time watching television when my time is needed elsewhere.


Object #2: My Laptop

Overall Significance: My Dell laptop is very important to me. My laptop is on from the time I awake until the time I fall asleep. I use this laptop for everything, getting in touch with loved ones back home, reading school e-mails, checking the weather, listen to music, checking my face book messages, writing papers late at night, and holds pictures of all my loved ones back home that keep me going.


Object #3: Clorox Bleach and Laundry Detergent

Overall Significance: It may seem obvious but seeing these two items next to the door of my dorm inform me that my gym clothes need to be washed…badly. Every time I do my laundry, I always read the back of the label to make sure the measurements of bleach are correct. The only reason for this is because if you add more bleach to your whites than needed, your going to have itchy undershirts and socks for the rest of the day…trust me.


Object #3: Fire Drill Note

Overall Significance: This note is posted on the back of my dorm’s door and I see this every time I leave the room. It is only today that I closely read a sentence that states “Do not attempt to fight a fire…let a professional do it.” I chuckled and thought to myself “well…no kidding”
but God forbid if someone was in trouble then I would do whatever it takes to help them out, professional or not.


Object #4: Lysol Disinfectant Spray

Overall Significance: Never will I look at a can of Lysol the same after this semester. I have used numerous cans of this kind through out this semester due to my smelly roommate. I would read the label of the can to see if the spray would effect the fabrics on my clothes before I saturate them in hopes to kill the smell of his horrible body odor. I originally thought it was my gym clothes but I was wrong. Very wrong.


Object # 5: My Watch

Overall Significance: My watch was given to me as a gift from my fiancée for our one year anniversary. It is very important to me because it symbolizes a timeless fight to do well for myself as well as for our future together. My watch reminds me that I must make use of the time allotted to me to do well in everything that is most important to me. " Let him who would enjoy a good future waste none of his present." -Roger Babson

No comments: