Friday, November 16, 2007

Amanda Miller's Literacy Dig

1) Giusseppe’s Pizza menu: Posted conveiently in my reach while I’m sitting at my desk. Best pizza shop in town! (Or at least the closest in style to the one at home). It usually gets ordered from about once every two weeks, it’s the only pizza place I’ll order from up here, although I’m usually ordering something other than pizza.

2) Campus Channel Listing: In the odd instances I have time to channel surf, I need to know where the exciting channels are. I only know HBO, CBS, Fox and Animal Planet by heart (a sad selection, I know) so for everything else I have to get off my but and crouch down by the fridge where the campus-provided list is posted.

3) My Mort Kunstler Civil War Calender: Each month’s painting has a paragraph below it explaining what the picture is portraying. I have to stand on my desk to change the month so I always read that little spiel before I get down. There’re also little historical facts on some of the days. For example, yesterday (November 15th) in 1864 was the beginning of Sherman’s “March to the Sea.” In case anyone cared.

4) Movie/DVD cases: (All conveniently stashed in a box under my bed) Sometimes I just don’t know what I want to watch. I guess in a way reading the cases of the movies is like channel surfing, it shows you the options. Most of the time I spend 10 minutes or so just looking through to decide which one I’m really in the mood for. And somehow I usually end up watching the same 4 or 5 movies over and over again. It must be they have the most convincing overviews on the back of them.

5) Tags on clothes: Sadly enough, most of the time I ignore these, but I’ve learned to be a little more careful since I shrunk one of my favorite skirts that happened to say Dry Clean Only on the tag. Oops.

No comments: