Thursday, November 15, 2007

Carrie Douglas' Literacy Dig

Here's a list of my five items:

Object # 1: Bedroom whiteboard with the word "RUN!" written on it.

Significance: I wrote "RUN!" run on this board not because I forget to exercise but because it will keep me accountable. I will feel more guilty about not exercising if I have a written reminder. Apparently this says that the written word affects me more than unspoken mental reminders.

Object # 2: Assignment notebook in my backpack

Significance: This calendar of upcoming events and assignment due dates keeps me sane and organized. This notebook illustrates my dependence on literacy to complete daily tasks.

Object # 3: My bedroom's laptop, AOL Instant Messenger Box

Signficance: This log of conversations between my friends and I illuminates how technology has made literacy a fundamental part of my everyday communication. While in the past, people depended upon literacy for correspondence to an extent, I do not feel it was quite as vital to communication as it is now.

Object # 4: Bedroom John Lennon poster with "Imagine" lyrics

Significance: These song lyrics are on my wall for aesthetic purposes. This hints at literacy as a means of artistic fulfillment in my life.

Object # 5: Kitchen Wheat Thins Cracker Box

Significance: The box reads "reduced fat" in big, bold letters. Perhaps this is one of the reasons I chose this specific box of crackers. Therefore literacy is a means of selling a product and also a means of uncovering nutritional content about a particular food product.

No comments: