Friday, November 16, 2007

The Literacy Dig

1. Computer
found on my desk

2. Newspaper
found on my chair

3. Sticky Notes
found around desk and computer

4. Wipe Board
found on the outside of my door

5. Ticker
found on the ESPN channel across the bottom of the screen

The newspaper is one of the more "traditional" methods of literacy that can be found in my room. Newspapers among younger generation are becoming somewhat out of date. However, I still enjoy the newspaper and frequently read it. It’s one of my literacy habits that involve lots of reading at one sitting.

The sticky notes and wipe board messages are primarily short composed of 3-6 words. Often they just contain important information like usernames and passwords or brief messages saying, "I have your notes" or "I’ve gone to Clinton". This type of reading takes only a brief glance to understand.

The computer and ticker involve technological literacy. On the computer you are required to be literate as most things on it involve reading and understanding the computer language. The ticker is on the television and flashes across the screen. Therefore you must have a good level of reading ability in order to read it quickly before it vanishes off screen.

No comments: