Friday, November 16, 2007

Courtney Hayes Literacy Dig

Object #1-Note on Refrigerator reading "Electric Bill is $111.00, get me money asap. Thanks, love u guys"

Overall significance: My roommate Kellie left this note for me and my other roommate Terianne to remind us the electric bill is due. I always read the messages left on the refrigerator, its a convienent spot to leave notes.



Object #2-my cell phone, using text messaging to communicate and respond to others.

Overall significance: My cell phone is an easy and accessible device that I use to constantly text message, it allows me to contact people no matter where I am or what I am doing. If i cant actually make a phone call, I can type/text whatever I want to say quickly and easily. Also, it allows for almost instant response.



Object #3-AOL Instant Messanger

Overall significance: Instant Messanger is another form of communication. You have to think about what you are going to say before you type it. It also allows for instant response. However, it also eliminates the personal contact of communicating with somene face to face. Another problem with it is that it is hard to know exactly what a person is saying or in what context because you can't actually hear their voice or see the emotion on their face.



Object #4-Assignment Notebook

Overall significance-I use my assignment notebook for almost everything I do. I write my grocery lists, mental reminders, and just simple to do lists as well as school assignments in it. Having a written reminder really helps me know what I need to get accomplished on a day to day basis. Also, it helps me to look ahead because I can look at the syllabus for my classes and record when upcoming tests, papers are due, etc. I also keep my friends birthdays recorded in my assigment notebook because it also serves as my calendar.



Object #5-Card from my pen pal Taryn reading "I MISS YOU"
Overall significance- I have had a pen pal for about three years now, she lives in Long Island and goes to school in Boston. We are constantly writing eachother letters and sending eachother cards, pictures, cd's etc. We keep in contact via mail only and I like that. We rarely talk on the phone unless it has to do with plans for a visit. The card is hung on my wall because it reminds me of her and lets me know she cares about me.

No comments: