Monday, November 19, 2007

Heidi's Literacy Dig

Object #1: Yellow index card

This card has the words "Daer Heiadidi I loveat yoan of Moriah Hanover" on it. This card was from my little sister, Moriah. Because she was falling behind in the areas of writing and reading at school, we decided to become pen pals and would write each other back and forth to improve her reading and writing abilities. This was the first letter she wrote to me without any help from her teacher or our mom, and because of that, it means much more to me than any guided letter or card.

Object #2: Spelling Test

Tacked on the wall beneath my sister Moriah's first card to me is a blue spelling test with the statement "100 Excellent!" and a princess sticker that said "Beautiful" on it. Moriah had been failing test after test at school and was becoming frustrated. After talking to my mom about it on the phone, I went home and Moriah and I spent two hours spelling, reciting, and taking mock tests. The next day, she took her test and got her first 100. She was so happy and proud that she gave me her test sheet to hang on my wall. I put the test on the wall with the card she wrote me earlier, and was amazed when I realized how much she had progressed in just a few months. Although I will be teaching students much older than Moriah, she is one of my greatest inspirations for wanting to be a teacher.

Object #3: Glass Figurine

My third object is a flat mirror with the spun glass words "Heidi Will You Marry Me" on it. This past weekend, I went to Lake Placid with my boyfriend and we decided to go to the glass blowing shop. As we were walking past the display window, he asked me what I thought about the one in the middle. I was still comprehending what it said when he pulled out the ring and asked me to marry him. Because of the significance of the figurine, I chose to prominently display it in our living room, not only as a conversation piece, but also as a reminder of one of my favorite memories.

Object #4: Christmas Ornament

I have a Christmas ornament that stays up all year round with the words "If a kiss was a snowflake I'd send you a blizzard" on it. Not only is the ornament whimsical and romantic, it is a reminder to not get hung up on the small things that make relationships rough. This helps me to remember the bigger picture of relationships, such as being in love and appreciating each other, instead of focusing on negative aspects that may not truly matter in the grand scheme of things.

Object #5: Friends Forever Frame

The last object is a frame with the words "Friends Forever" on it. This frame is ironic because I got as a freshman in high school and immediately put a picture of my older sister (the one who gave me it) in it. It was on display all through my high school and college career, even when we became more distant from each other. However, years after receiving it, we decided to close the gap that had grown between us and began hanging out again. Now, in our last years of college, my sister and I are roommates, we are both engaged, and we consider ourselves best friends.

No comments: