Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Shawn's Literacy Dig

Object 1: Giant Poster of the famous Jim Morrison picture - The Doors are my favorite band and Jim Morrison is one of my favorite people. Their music changed music in general in a way not many other bands have. Everything from how the wrote music, what they wrote, and how they lived is absorbing. I have tend to write in the same fashion Morrison did when I'm writing leisurely, in a sort of jivey, abstract and inexplicable way.

Object 2: Vitamin C - I take vitamin c everyday because I always think I'm getting sick. I get the 500 mg and take 2 pills each day. My friend always gives me a hard time saying that 1000 mg is over the daily value, but one pill of 500mg is 833% of your daily value so why would they make 1 pill 733% over your daily value if your body would only take 100%? So 2 must be twice as good. I read a lot of fine print like that.

Object 3: A wood carved ashtray with a female figure - People are always smoking here so it makes sense to have an ashtray. I stole it from a boardwalk store in Ocean City, New Jersey when I was in 7th grade. I figure it's just New Jersey so I don't feel too bad. It was probably over priced anyway. There are some empty Zig-Zag boxes and a lot of other little pieces of garbage that fill up the ashtray making it pointless. They should read our recycling box so their cardboard can go in it, a lot of people don't read or notice signs when they don't care.

Object 4: An Ipod - I listen to music a good more than not, but a lot of times I can't find something I want to listen to. I'll scroll through my Ipod 10 times and still not find anything, then a friend will just choose something and I'll like it and think "how did I scroll over that 10 times?" It's not that I don't pay attention to what I'm reading...I don't really know how I can look through my music library a bunch of times and see everything yet miss everything.

Object 5: An antique date-keeping thing - It's a small brass semi-cylinder with a scroll of days, numbers, and months inside. The three windows show one of each and then I scroll the inner and outer knobs on each side to change the day, date, and month depending on what it is. I usually don't remember to change it fro weeks or months at a time but I look at it over 10 times a day, every time I sit at my desk. Even though I read the wrong date, day, or month everyday I usually only fix it when I'm absolutely fed up with looking at the wrong figures.

No comments: